Ceresco became a township on July 8, 1857. Its name was a mistake; one of its residents, Isaac Slocum, had moved to the present town of Lincoln and suggested the name Ceresco for it after his old town of Ceresco, WI. Meanwhile, John and Miles Porter suggested Fox Lake for the township’s new name after Fox Lake, WI, where they had lived before. The County Board decided the townships’ names on April 6, 1858, but there was a mix-up and two names were switched. Nothing was ever done to correct the mistake, so Ceresco stayed Ceresco ever since.
Because of its lack of timber and rivers, Butternut Valley was somewhat avoided by settlers in the early 1800’s. Andrew Strom, of Norway, settled his family in Butternut in 1857. About the same time, Evan Peterson and his family settled in another section of Butternut, and George W. Smith staked claims as well. While it is hard to determine who the real first settler is, Strom is generally given credit. Not many more settlers came until 1863. At this time, about two dozen more people came to the township.
The new Research Center is now open. The glass door has been installed and new microfilm readers/printers will be installed soon. There is a new copier is the room which allows us to make color copies for researchers. Our files of newspaper and information clippings now have their own room and table, located just off the main room. Researchers already love this new space.
R. D. HUBBARD HOUSE ASSISTANT
The R. D. Hubbard House Assistant is a part-time, seasonal position that exists for the operation of the Blue Earth County Historical Society (BECHS) R. D. Hubbard House and will work with the BECHS staff and volunteers to meet the needs of visitors to the house. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
Progress had been made on the new Research Center.
Work started on the upper level!
In the past month we have continued to work on our expansion. Our main entrance has moved to Warren Street which has a larger parking lot and a handicap accessible door. In the past week, the Executive Director’s office moved, joining the Gift Shop and Marian Anderson Art Gallery on the lower level.
Over the past month, work on our expansion into the lower level has continued. The walls are painted and the new Museum Gift Shop and Marian Anderson Art Gallery is being prepared for the store merchandise. Come and see the results of our hard work this Saturday, September 27 with the Community Open House and Member Appreciation. Enter through our new entrance along Warren Street and visit the new Gift Shop and Art Gallery. Then explore our newly expanded space which includes the traveling exhibit “Minnesota Disasters”.