By: Ollie Anderson
When Captain Samuel Humbertson sailed past South Bend in 1853 he immediately resolved to settle there. His fellow crewmate’s agreed whole heartedly and soon they began a small settlement. So small- in fact- it is considered one of the smallest in Blue Earth County. The men were astounded by the lush forest landscape and mesmerizing rocky surroundings. A large portion of this land was sectioned off to become Minneopa State Park, a very popular attraction today. This park also contains a famous historical landmark, the Seppmann Mill.
The Mankato Post Office first opened in 1853 in a small building located on Front Street across the street from the First National Bank. Parson King Johnson was the city’s first postmaster. The post office then moved to the 300 block of South Front Street, followed by moving to the corner of Front and Hickory Streets. This location was not large enough for the post office and in 1891 they started looking for another location to house the post office in Mankato.
No one knows who first settled Pleasant Mound in 1856, as several settlers came to the area around the same time that year. Pleasant Mound went through a few name changes before settling on its current name; when the township was first named on April 6, 1858, to “Otsego,” but they changed its name to “Willow Creek” on October 14, 1858. Its current name was chosen by F. O. Marks, a settler who established a post office at his home in 1863. He called the post office “Pleasant Mound” after the chain of mound-shaped hills that towered up to seventy-five feet above the Minnesota prairie.