Beauford Township was given its name in 1866. Prior to then it had been part of the Winnebago Indian Reservation. Its landscape was characterized by lush prairie and plentiful timber. James Morrow Sr. was the first white settler. After his arrival more followed bringing with them their families and prospects. The following years a school, church, and a creamery sprang up, which all impacted Beauford’s history.
School was important to the parents in the township. The first class was taught by Miss Ackerman at the Moreland Saw Mill. That summer, a school building was erected and was used instead. It taught students in grades 1 to 8. This building likely consisted of a box wood burning stove, a chair, and a makeshift table. In 1895 a larger framed house was built on the same site, equipped with newer furnishings.
Along with education, church was a routine that the citizens of Beauford valued. The first church in Beauford Township, the “United Brethren Church of Beauford,” was officially established in 1884. Rev. Simon George was the pastor. The first church building was built with dimensions of 24 by 40 feet. In its infancy it contained only a pulpit, plank seats, and two box heaters.
Another addition to the township that shaped Beaufords history was the introduction of a co-operative creamery association called the Beauford Creamery. The two owners were Al Madison and Charles Hertzberg. The co-op enjoyed much success and even became one of the largest creameries in the county. Sadly, it ceased operation in 1955.
Beauford continues to thrive today. The church still thrives in the community. Students from Beauford Township find themselves at Maple River schools. The community currently has a truck salvage shop as well.