Excerpt from The Heritage of Blue Earth County by Julie Schrader, Topic 22, available in the Research & Genealogy Center.
Heather Harren's blog
By Sam Burnton
Excerpt from The Heritage of Blue Earth County by Julie Schrader, Topic 18, available in the Research & Genealogy Center.
"Harvesting in the early years was done by hand also. Corn was cut with a knife or sickle and shocked. It was husked, again by hand, and the ear put in a crib and the stalks used for fodder. Some picked the corn in the field and husked there, using the husking peg that fir around the finger.
By Grace Webb
While it may seem impossible for a little dog and a big cat to be best friends, at Mankato's Sibley Park Zoo, that's exactly what happened in the early '30s. For 10 years, from 1932 to 1942, Mutt the lion and Jeff the dog were inseparable.
Lincoln Township is on the western edge of Blue Earth County located between Ceresco and Butternut Valley. Originally a part of Ceresco Township, it separated in 1865 to be Lincoln after President Abraham Lincoln. Many of the people who settled in Lincoln Township were Swedish or Norwegian immigrants.
By Hilda Parks
July, 1897 must have been a delightful time for children living in Mankato. The circus came to town twice in two weeks. It was two circuses, both claiming to be the biggest and best in the world: “The Big Barnum and Bailey Show” and “Ringling Bros. World’s Greatest Show: The Mastodon of Modern Shows.”
By Hilda Parks
Hotels opened and closed during the early years of development of Mankato, with names like Washington House (1856-1897), Union House (1857-1885), Clifton House (1860) or City Hotel (1869).
Lime Township was officially established in 1858. The township was named after lime kilns, large outdoor furnaces with chimneys used to burn limestone. The name accurately conveys Lime Townships strong ties to quarrying. In fact, the township is remembered for containing the best and largest stone quarries in Blue Earth County. Its success is largely due to its situation near malleable stone and fertile land.
Medo Township was first part of the Winnebago Indian reservation that was established in 1855. Medo is a Winnebago word meaning small potatoes. After the Winnebago were relocated white settlers moved in and created a settlement. Lars Sersen was among the first. A majority of the settlers were of Norwegian descent. Four distinct settlements arose from Medo Township: Medo, Little Cobb, Pemberton, and Cream. Medo, Little Cobb, and Cream have since faded from existence while only Pemberton remains. Not much is known about the Medo and Little Cobb town sites.
By Mike Lagerquist
For one week a year, when the Blue Earth County Fair is held there, the sleepy town of Garden City gains prominence. Surely the town would be more prominent year round if Garden City were the county seat as many hoped it would be.