Lying between the Big Cobb and Le Sueur Rivers sits Decoria Township. Decoria is notable for many things including being one of the last settled township in Blue Earth County. It is a township rich in culture, values, and dedication. Because of its incoming settlers, Decoria managed to establish three churches, eight schools, and many other unique organizations. There are no towns located in Decoria, but many people call this township home.
Heather Harren's blog
Before the railroad, river waterways were the primary source of travel and the easiest way to move goods. In 1851 steamboats such as the Medora, Jeannette Roberts, Time and Tide, and Minnesota started to navigate the Minnesota River on a more regular basis.
By Jacob Johnson
The first thing I noticed when I first visited Minnesota State University was the two towers, Gage dormitory. Gage was a place that always had students coming and going. Many MSU students have called Gage home the past 47 years it was in use. However, now the Gage two towers are ghost towers. No longer buzzing with the energy from its occupants and now waiting for the day that it is imploded. Gage has been the setting for many memorable stories and taking a look at its past is a good way to see how it came to be such a memorable place.
While it may seem impossible for a little dog and a big cat to be best friends, that is exactly what happened in the early 1930s at the Sibley Park Zoo. Mutt the lion and Jeff the dog were inseparable from 1932 to 1942. While some worried that Mutt would harm his little friend, the two got along exceedingly well. In fact, many accounts from the 1930s bragged about Jeff controlling Mutt, such as when the dog broke up a fight between Mutt and his father.
Bierbauer Brewing Company was the first brewery built west of St. Paul, MN. William Bierbauer and his brother, Jacob, had fled Germany’s 1848 revolutions and later became part of Mankato’s founding residents.
In 1862 the company opened among the hills of North Rock Street. They used the hillside caves to store and cool the Bierbauer beer kegs in the days before electricity.
By Hilda Parks
To speak of riding the Alphabet Road to Cream sounds like the beginning of a children’s book. To say it was because of the Alphabet Road that Cream died sounds like a murder mystery. To say that the Alphabet Road once ran through the town of Cream is history.
The United States declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917. With this declaration, many men from Blue Earth County enlisted for the Great War. For those who remained at home, there were bond drives and tin collections to raise money for the war efforts. The Mankato Red Cross was formed on April 16, 1917 and much of the organization’s work during the Great War revolved around raising funds.
By Hilda Parks
Teams of horses disappearing from their stalls, and reappearing the next day. Smoke coming from a school house at strange hours. Sheets vanishing from clothes lines. Books missing from schools. Was it a ghost, or a very clever thief?
When driving through the populous township of Mankato, take note of the numerous historical sites and markers. When passing through “Old Town” you soon recognize by the lightly weathered, but articulately constructed buildings that Mankato is avidly concerned with preserving its vivid past. Mankato is famous for many things including the Historic Hubbard House, its involvement in the Dakota Conflict, Sibley Zoo, and many other specific landmarks. It was originally a hub for resources, characterized by its close relation to the Minnesota River, and its abundance of resources such as clay.
The first railroad to come to Mankato was the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha line. One of the deciding factors that brought the railroad to town was the city’s promise to build a depot. When the first train arrived in October 1868, the depot, on the corner of Fourth and Washington, was there to greet it. As more railroads came through Mankato, a second depot was built on the corner opposite of Mankato’s first depot with two more on Mulberry and Hickory Streets.