Heather Harren's blog
The Mankato Post Office first opened in 1853 in a small building located on Front Street across the street from the First National Bank. Parson King Johnson was the city’s first postmaster. The post office then moved to the 300 block of South Front Street, followed by moving to the corner of Front and Hickory Streets. This location was not large enough for the post office and in 1891 they started looking for another location to house the post office in Mankato.
No one knows who first settled Pleasant Mound in 1856, as several settlers came to the area around the same time that year. Pleasant Mound went through a few name changes before settling on its current name; when the township was first named on April 6, 1858, to “Otsego,” but they changed its name to “Willow Creek” on October 14, 1858. Its current name was chosen by F. O. Marks, a settler who established a post office at his home in 1863. He called the post office “Pleasant Mound” after the chain of mound-shaped hills that towered up to seventy-five feet above the Minnesota prairie.
By Grace Webb
The first settlers to Vernon Center arrived in covered wagons, eagerly drawn to the areas abundance of wild game and timber. A majority of these settlers arose from Mt.Vernon, Ohio, where a small group was assembled in search of land. Once they arrived, the area was given a name, a mill, a hotel, post office, and school. The hotel built had to be suddenly transformed into a barracks and stockade in 1862 in preparation of the Dakota Conflict. Captain Sullivan’s Company H of the 10th Minnesota Regiment was stationed there.