Snippets of Blue Earth County History:
First Telephone In Blue Earth County
[Mankato Citizens Telephone Switchboard, 1900s]
According to Thomas Hughes' "History of Blue Earth County," the line ran from city hall in Mankato to the Hubbard mill and then to the Mankato House [hotel].
In 1883, this apparent inter-communication service was extended. The Northwestern Telephone Company installed a telephone plant on July 11, 1883 and obtained 63 subscribers.
The next two years, the company built lines to Lake Crystal, Rapidan and Amboy. Continue reading . . .
This snippet is from The Heritage of Blue Earth County by Julie Schrader. To read the full article, please visit the Research Center.