For many years, beginning in 1880, the Mapleton Opera house served as a community center for traveling shows, dances, graduations, and especially for performances by local talent. Several amateurs in the opera company, including Flo Hanna, Jack Johnson, and Charles Brown, became professionals. Later the building found many uses before it was finally torn down in 1972.
Focuses on “Mankato’s short life as an automobile manufacturing center,” covering the years 1891-1912. Cites the many local people who had a hand in the rapid growth, then demise, of the area’s motor car industry.
Traces the 100-year history of Mankato hospitals that culminated in the first known merger between a community hospital and a Catholic hospital.
Excerpt from author’s series on the railway industry in Mankato, southern Minnesota’s rail hub.
J.R. Tincom had a beautiful dream for 240 homes and a city park to be built on his land; it would take 120 years for it to be realized. Palmer has intriguingly traced Tincom’s vision through the years and the people who settled the James Avenue area and helped make it the important part of Mankato that it is today.
Relays information from Fire Chief Ben Bargerter’s History of the Mankato Fire Department and a Mankato Free Press article from April 5, 1960, tracing the early story of local firefighting units from 1860 to 1920.
Presents the work done Ken Knutson and other volunteers in processing artifacts for the BECHS Collection. At the time, there were 11,600 artifacts in the collection.
This script was performed by a Ghosts from the Past cast at Williams Nature Center on October 3-4, 1992. Author researched the subject using Thomas Hughes’s History of Minneopa State Park (1932).
Taken from a Mankato Free Press article appearing November 11, 1952, this story focuses on the main means of transportation to and from Mankato in the early years.
Enchanting tale of the maiden and the curiosity which was her undoing