Indian Lake

A long-time resident of the area, Keenan reminisces in words and photos beginning in 1898. As a historian and poet, his fine recollections of school days and valley doings in the early days make for excellent reading.

Local 4-H Clubs over 100 years old

A.B. Graham was credited with founding 4-H clubs in Ohio in 1902.  In 1912, T.A. Erickson, rural school specialist at the University of Minnesota, started the first club in Minnesota with 200 boys and girls.  Blue Earth County became involved in 1918 when Maynard E. Coe was hired as the first 4-H Extension agent.

It wasn’t until 1924 that the 4-Hs (Head, Heart Hands & Health) and the symbol of cloverleaf became widely used.  Prior to that the clubs were known as Boys and Girls Canning Clubs.

Pages

Subscribe to Blue Earth County Historical Society RSS