The following is a sampling of the indexes we have available in the Research and Genealogy Center. Many of these indexes are for genealogical materials located within the Research and Genealogy Center. In the Center we also have indexes to the 1860, 1870 and 1880 Federal census, an index to the 1857 territorial census, indexes to our photograph, book and manuscript collections. For more information or to request a search contact the Research and Genealogy Center.
- The Following link, Digital Photograph Images, will take you to a collection of Blue Earth County photographs digitized and made available for your viewing by the Minnesota Digital Library. The originals are housed at BECHS. This digital collection includes only a small portion of the society's actual photograph collection. For more information or to request copies of these photographs, contact the Research and Genealogy Center.
- Cemetery Index: Volunteers have transcribed and indexed 78 cemeteries in Blue Earth County. The complete information is available in the Research and Genealogy Center in book form.
- Family Histories: The Blue Earth County Historical Society has many family histories that have been donated to our collection over time. To see any of these family histories, visit the Research and Genealogy Center Center.
- Historian: Index to articles published in the Blue Earth County Historian since 1972
- Marriage Index: Index to marriage announcements published in the Mankato Free Press.
- Minnesota State Census: Index for Blue Earth County. The complete census is available on microfilm in the Research Center. A transcription of the census is available on the public computer in the Research and Genealogy Center
- Obituary Books: Index to the Obituary Books located in the Research and Genealogy Center.
Book 4 part 1 | Book 4 part 2 | Book 5 | Book 6
- Obituary Index: Index to obituaries published in the Mankato Free Press missing from the Obituay Books.
- Social Notes: Indexes to articles published in Blue Earth County newspapers from 1875-1940s. These articles have been clipped and placed in scrapbooks available at the Society. Articles consist of “gossip” or social brevities of the day.
- Surname Clipping File Index: This file contains an index to the individuals and families for which the Historical Society has clipping files.
- Wills Index: Index to the actual wills of Blue Earth County residents dating from 1858 to 1973 that were donated to Blue Earth County Historical Society. This index does not cover wills that may be held by any other county or state agency. Researchers can request a copy of a will for $15.00.
- World War II Newspaper Articles: Index to articles published in the Mankato Free Press regarding men and women from Blue Earth County serving in World War II. These articles have been clipped and placed in scrapbooks available at the Society. For more information, please contact the Research and Genealogy Center.
Historical Preservation Reference Collection: This collection has great information about different ways to preserve historic buildings, ways to make downtown more presentable and The Old-House Journal, which discusses different ideas on how to renovate and maintain older houses. Also included in this collection are Sanborn Fire Insurance maps and a book listing the different historic sites throughout Minnesota.
I Remember Mankato: This index is a copy of newspaper articles written by prominent Mankato people reminiscing about Mankato for the Centennial.
Share Your Stories: We are always looking for information to add to our collection about your memories and what you have accomplished. Please fill out any of the forms below and mail them to BECHS or e-mail your responses to Research@BlueEarthCountyHistory.com.