Stories From the Slough
The history of the Slough on the west edge of Mankato has a colorful history. It starts in 1873 and James Tinkcom purchasing the land and building several small houses to sell or rent out. In the 1890s, several Lebanese families immigrated to Mankato and moved into the houses, nicknamed Tinkcomville.
In 1908, some land in the area was purchased and an orphanage built. It closed about a decade later and the building was abandoned. In 1924, a civic project was started on the site. The project included a park and golf course. However, the area flooded was too wet for golf. By 1943, the golf course was abandoned. Eight years later, Mankato West High School was built on the land.
Through the 1970s, some of the wooded area was improved to include nature paths. A new road was also built through the area and named after George Stolzman, the first soldier from Blue Earth County to be killed in the Vietnam conflict. In 1988, a memorial was built on the west side of Stolzman to honor all of the twenty-nine area soldiers killed in that conflict.